Monday, October 10, 2016

Our Man In Charleston by Christopher Dickey {A Book Review}


I have really enjoyed reading Our Man In Charleston by Christopher Dickey. In the book, Dickey brings to life the true story of Robert Bunch, the British Consul stationed in Charleston. I really enjoyed Dickey's writing style. It is clear and concise and I feel there are no wasted words or filler.  Often biographies are filled with too much information and can be dry to read. Dickey does a good job avoiding this pitfall.

As far as content, it was very entertaining and interesting to see the lead up to the Civil War through the eyes of a foreigner, since everything I have ever read about that time period has been from an American perspective. Living in South Carolina, it was fun to be familiar and personally know some of the locations from the book.

This was a really fun read. I feel like I learned something new about this time period. Dickey brought the characters of Bunch and his peers to life, as opposed to simply recounting the history. I feel there is even some insight of pre-Civil War South Carolina culture that is still reflected in our country today. I would definitely recommend this book, even if you don't have a strong interest in Civil War history.

*I received this book from Blogging for Books.*

 

No comments:

Post a Comment