Monday, April 30, 2018

Coach Wooden's Forgotten Teams by Pat Williams {A Book Review}


Coach Wooden's Forgotten Teams: Stories and Lessons from John Wooden's Summer Basketball Camps by Pat Williams was a surprise book choice for me. I didn't play basketball in high school but I was the manager of the girl's basketball team so I spent plenty of time around basketball. 

I was drawn to this book for the above reason but also because I was interested in what the stories and lessons from John Wooden would be. I have to say, I was NOT disappointed in this book. While it is obviously based on lessons learned from basketball and the greatest basketball coach, John Wooden, it was about so much more than that. 

Coach Wooden was a basketball coach but he was also a person who believed in raising leaders above all. I think that anyone and everyone could benefit from the lessons taught in this book. I learned a great deal with the main thing that was magnified was the importance of good character over everything. Sure, you can be the best athlete on your team but if your character is poor, well, it doesn't mean a thing. I think this resonated with me because this is a huge part of how we are trying to raise our boys to become men. 

I recommend this book for basketball leaders, coaches, etc but also just for someone who would like some good ole lessons in their life! 

**I received a copy of this book from the publisher.**

No comments:

Post a Comment