Tuesday, February 9, 2016

The Secret to Hummingbird Cake & The House on Moody Avenue


The Secret to Hummingbird Cake by Celeste Fletcher McHale pulled me in right away!! It was not the typical Christian fiction I am accustomed to reading and at the same time, I loved the real-ness of the book. 

The story follows three best friends who have a very unique nature. Two of the friends are married, and one of those is going through a rough patch in her marriage. The third friend is single and straight-laced. The story initially focuses on Carrigan and her rough marriage. The story takes a quick turn as one friend, Laine, is diagnosed with cancer. 

The remainder of the story follows the friends, Carrigan, Laine and Ella Rae, as they live out Laine's  last days. Secrets are revealed, memories are shared, a baby is born and love is brought to the forefront. 

There was some rawness in this book that I appreciated and while there were hints at God and his sovereignty, I don't know that I would fully call this christian fiction (nor do I know if that was the intention.) Overall, nonetheless, I really liked this book. 

-----------------------------------------

Once I finished The Secret to Hummingbird Cake, BookLook Bloggers gave me the opportunity to read and review The House on Moody Avenue by Cellestine Hannemann. You guys, I tried to love this book. It was hard for me to press through. The writing wasn't the best to me and the characters just didn't draw me in. 

I felt like the synopsis was a bit deceiving and didn't quite translate into what the book actually shared. I wanted to like this book, it just didn't happen for me! 

**Thank you BookLook for sending me both of these e-books to read and review.**

I review for BookLook Bloggers

No comments:

Post a Comment