Wednesday, April 26, 2017

This is Your Brain On Sports by L. Jon Wertheim & Sam Somme's



This Is Your Brain on Sports by L. Jon Wertheim and Sam Sommers is my latest read. To my knowledge, I've not read a book like this before. It was intriguing to me when I first read the synopsis on Blogging For Books website so I requested it. (Thanks for sending to me for free!) Long before I was married with kids, I spent plenty of time watching sports. In recent years, I don't watch as much and I guess these books about sports, athletes and the like must intrigue me for that reason. 

This book answered lots of questions that are brought up in sports on a, likely, daily basis. Chapter titles include: 

Why the T-Shirt Cannon has Something to Teach us about Human Nature, 

Why the Coach's seat is always Hot, 

Why Giving Every Little League Kid a Trophy Is Such A Lousy Idea

and many more....

Some chapters grabbed me immediately and others had the opposite affect for one reason or another. Overall, I liked this book but I felt like it was so dense. I guess I didn't expect SO MUCH INFORMATION about each topic and by the end of some chapters, I felt exhausted! That being said, I think this book would be great for reading one chapter at a time here or there. 

So, it was not a bad book but just not a book for the typical person to sit down and read cover to cover quickly. However, a TRUE sports lover who is a diehard would probably feel the opposite from me! I plan to pass this book along to my husband and then I think he will probably pass along to his brother from there. 



No comments:

Post a Comment