Thursday, March 14, 2013

When Tragedy strikes...

Post originally written on 2/19/13 

I grew up in a small town. Fluker, Louisiana. A town that had a few businesses all owned by the same family, a post office, a stop sign and more cows than people.

This town was surrounded by many other small towns.

The small towns that you think nothing could ever go wrong in.

You grow up thinking that crime happens in larger cities. That troubled children are the ones at public schools not the private school you attend. That people who are in church never get divorces. That...you get the picture.

I was blessed to grow up in a small town. Blessed to attend a small, private school. Blessed to be sheltered from so much of the world's troubles.

I was cursed to grow up in a small town. Cursed to attend a small, private school. Cursed to be sheltered from so much of the world's troubles.

I am grateful for my upbringing but if any of you have had a similar experience then you might agree that this good thing can also be tough.

Because of how I grew up, I had this thought in my head that those bad things that happen don't happen in the area we live in or to people like us.

Today, a guy that I went to school with who is now 30 years old shot and killed his wife who was 26 and someone I also went to school with. Then, he shot and killed himself.

Seriously?

I might not be so shocked but about 3 years ago, another guy that I went to school with shot and killed his wife in the front yard. Then, he shot and killed himself.

Seriously?

When I heard the news of this most recent tragedy, I was shocked, breathless, stunned, overwhelmed and completely saddened.

And then? Then, I was grateful that this wasn't my story. Grateful for God's protection in my own life. Grateful for the good things I've received though I don't deserve them. Grateful for the path I've walked down.

Dear Lord, Please bring peace to your people. Help us to draw near to you. Remind us that none of us are out of harm's way but lead us in your care. Protect us. Guide us. Deliver us. Heal us.




1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry and also wonder why people take that route in life. So thankful for God's love and care.

    ReplyDelete