Sunday, January 24, 2016

Safe House {A Book Review}


Wow, I was on a roll reading last year and here it is January 24th and this is the first book that I've finished and it took me a long time to read this one!! Safe House: How Emotional Safety is the Key to Raising Kids Who Live, Love, and Lead Well by Joshua Straub, PhD has been sitting on my bedside table for nearly 3 months. 

I have no idea why it took me so long to start reading and it took me almost as long to finish reading it. Let's see if I can hash it out while I write this review. 

I've mentioned before that parenting books draw me in more than most books do in this season of life. However, Safe House, which is a book about parenting, did not bring me in. The main reason I think this didn't draw me in was that it was written in a little more complex language, in my opinion. It was a little dry as well. Most parenting books that enjoy have that great mix of information and humor with a bit of personal experiences and stories mixed in with that. Safe House didn't quite have the right balance for me. 

Safe House's main premise is that fostering and establishing emotional safety within the home is how parents can best reach their children and parent them well. Straub states that establishing and maintaining that emotional safety with allow you to aid your children is living, loving and leading best in their lives. I don't necessarily disagree with this at all. 

Straub does bring out some good points in his book that are biblically based and as you know, that is important to me for sure! I liked that he included a section in his book about Safe Marriage which I think is the foundation of parenting going smoothly along with biblical foundations. 

In closing, I don't think that this book was horrible. I honestly think I'd like to read it later on in life. Right now, it just isn't the right book for me. If you are looking for a book to help you establish emotional safety in your home, definitely check this out. 


I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.


No comments:

Post a Comment