Monday, October 29, 2018

Once We Were Strangers by Shawn Smucker {A Book Review}


Once We Were Strangers by Shawn Smucker had me in tears more than once! I should also mention that I read it about 36 hours. SOOOOO good! 

In Once We Were Strangers, Shawn Smucker shares the story of meeting Mohammad and his family, Syrian Refugees, who found themselves living in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. For the first portion of the book, Mohammad shares about he and his family making the decision to flee Syria. I was on the edge of my seat during this portion. I would also add that I think this book would have been developed a bit more if more information from that part of the story was added in. That being said, I still loved the book. 

Shawn shares about how he met Mohammad and he began to grow closer to their family, learning about them leaving Syria, what their culture was like, and how they could be good friends to each other. I've been to Lancaster several times so I feel like I could picture some of the places they were talking about, etc. 

This story was inspiring to me. I want to reach out more to those who are different in our area, those who may be refugees from Syria or other places, those who could use a friend as their whole world has been turned upside down. I highly recommend this book as it was a quick read that held some weight. 

Thank you, Revell books, for sharing with me! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment