Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Tailgating Favorites

Two Saturdays ago, I decided that I really wanted to have some tailgate food. Matt worked until 4:00 and the LSU game started at 3:30 so it was the perfect day for it. I planned ahead of time and bought all of my ingredients which was a good thing because I woke up Saturday morning with a cold and feeling pretty puny. Since most of the items I picked were easy to make, I went ahead with my plans and it turned out great. I made Sausage Balls, Ham & Cheese Hawaiian Sandwiches, Charleston Cheese Dip and Corn Dip. 
The only pictures I have are iPhone pictures so they will have to do but I wanted to share the recipes anyway. :)

Sausage Balls: 
You need: 
1 lb sausage (I used Jimmy Dean)
1/2 shredded cheese (I used cheddar)
3 cups baking mix (I used the brand from Aldi and it turned out just fine)
Water, as needed. 

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. If it is too dry, add a little water at a time to help combine. Form into balls. Place on baking sheet or on cooling rack placed on top of baking sheet (to reduce the greasiness) and bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes. YUM!!! 


Trisha Yearwood's Charleston Cheese Dip:
You need: 
1/2 cup of mayo
1- 8 ounce package of cream cheese, softened
1 cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese (I only had mild cheddar so I used that)
1/2 cup of grated Monterey Jack Cheese
2 green onions, finely chopped (I forgot these when I shopped so I left them out but I think it would have been better with them added)
Dash of cayenne pepper
8-12 ritz crackers, crushed
8 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled (I used real bacon but I think you could also use real bacon bits too) 
Something to eat the dip with; (I read anything from corn chips to ritz crackers but we ended up going with just plain pita chips and tortilla chips and both were good.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, mix mayo, all cheeses, green onions and cayenne pepper. Transfer to a shallow baking dish. 
Top mixture with crackers and bake for 15-20 minutes until heated through. 
Top with bacon and heat for 1-2 more minutes. 
Serve hot for best flavor! 


Ham and Cheese Hawaiian Sandwiches
You need: 
1 package of King's Hawaiian Rolls
1/2 to 1 pound of ham thin sliced (Depends on how much meat you like on sandwiches)
Sliced swiss cheese (approximately 10-12 slices; I bought block cheese and sliced myself)
1 stick of butter
1 squirt of mustard
2 teaspoons of dried onions or you can sub with a little onion powder (I've even left this out before and they are still good!)
2 teaspoons of poppy seeds

Melt butter over medium heat and stir in mustard, onion, and poppy seeds; set aside
Slice hawaiian rolls. I always leave in one big sheet and slice all the way through. 
Baste inside bottom of rolls with butter and then layer ham and cheese. Use remaining butter to baste the inside top of rolls and then put sandwiches together. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-25 minutes. This time depends on your oven as well as on how crispy you want bread and how melted you want cheese! These are soooo yummy!! 


Corn Dip
You need: 
2 cans of corn
8 ounces of sour cream (don't use light)
1/2 cup to 1 cup of mayo (eyeball this depending on how cream you want your dip; I vary mine each time)
1 can of diced green chiles
Tony's to season

Mix all ingredients and chill. Serve with chip of your choice. 





No comments:

Post a Comment