Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Positive Discipline: The First Three Years {A Book Review}



I mentioned many times here on our blog that marriage books and parenting books have been at the forefront of my reading in the recent past. Matt and I have seen a shift in our marriage since Mason was born and we have had to work extra hard to focus on each other. It's been tough but SO. WORTH. IT! 

We have also attempted to be diligent in our parenting of Mason especially when it comes to discipline and more importantly, appropriate discipline. I have read so many books about various aspects of discipline (Shepherding a Child's Heart, In This House We Will Giggle, and Raising Kids who turn out right; to name a few). When I saw Positive Discipline: The First Three Years by Jane Nelson, ED.D, Cheryl Erwin, M.A., and Roslyn Ann Duffy available for review, I couldn't pass it up. 

The main reason it was so intriguing is that so often it is easy to think of discipline as punishment only and this book's title put a positive spin on it from the beginning. That was something I needed to know about. 

Positive Discipline: The First Three Years gives so much valuable information about discipline for your child. It presents the explanations of a child's actions at various ages and states that we are parents need to be aware of when our child's actions may or may not be intentional. 

The importance of teaching diligently about the right things to do, say, etc is even when they aren't able to fully understand is also presented in the book. This is something Matt and I try to do often and have for most of Mason's life even when he was barely rolling over. 

I also loved the books perspective on letting a child explore and be adventurous in order to learn. You don't want to lead your child to injury but it is important for them to learn boundaries through actions for certain things. 

The book, also has chapters focused on toilet training, parenting a child with special needs as well as feeding etc. 

I highly recommend this book for any and all parents! 



I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment