Tuesday, May 26, 2015

The Real Doctor Will See You Shortly by Matt McCarthy {A Book Review}


The Real Doctor Will See You Shortly by Matt McCarthy was just the fun and enjoyable memoir I hoped it would be! I am certain that McCarthy could be an English professor or full time writer should his medical profession go south! :)

Okay, more about the book now. The book shows just a small glimpse into Matt's intern year sharing some funny stories, hard stories and just some cool kind of behind-the-scenes glances into the "real" intern year. 

McCarthy writes about the close saves, the hard losses, the difficult to understand cases and even the mistakes/learning moments, an intern has. 

I loved McCarthy's openness, realness, and just plain honesty about the hard times related to a medical career. Sure, you go to medical school and learn so much but the rubber meets the road when you enter the hospital for the real deal. 

I relate to this as a speech-language pathologist (SLP) because we schooled for years and then finally got our hands on patients and it was just a whole other ball game. Just like it is day to day life as an SLP and I am sure as a doctor, too. 

I think anyone who is in the medical profession or considering the medical profession would enjoy this book. It is a bit crude but I was able to overlook that easily. I also think anyone who enjoys memoirs, medical related or not, would enjoy this. Check it out! 






I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment