Monday, September 25, 2017

Evicted by Matthew Desmond {A Book Review}


Evicted: Poverty And Profit In the American City by Matthew Desmond was a HARD read for me! This book is intense and its realness was very hard for me to swallow. 

Evicted follows the stories of many tenants and landlords involved in low income housing in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I am not ignorant to the fact that situations like this exist with people who are unable to afford decent housing, end up in an apartment that is shambles and then in turn, cannot even afford that place and are evicted. However, the stories of these REAL people were incredibly difficult to read and fully understand. 

I admire Desmond for addressing this subject as he truly put himself into their shoes to understand their situations as best as he could which I thought was pretty incredible to learn. 

As I said already, this was just a hard read. It was hard to learn more about poverty in Milwaukee and in turn, America. It was also just an overall tough book to read. The stories are dense and each one is much the same. Each person unique, of course, but all going through similar situations. It felt a bit redundant at times but if these truly are the stories of these people/families, that makes sense. 

All of that said, I think this book would be an interesting read for those who live in areas of high poverty, to help them understand. Especially those in education and the like, to get a better understanding of where their students are coming from, what their families are experiencing on a daily basis. 

Again, I admire Desmond for writing this book and truly showing what these families are enduring daily. I can see why it won so many awards. 

**I received this book from the publisher.**



No comments:

Post a Comment