Thursday, March 2, 2017

Dream With Me: Race, Love, and the Struggle We Must Win by John M. Perkins {A Book Review}


Given the politically charged times we are living in with so much being said about racial divide or just divide in general among various groups of people, Dream With Me by John M. Perkins drew me in immediately.

John M. Perkins, the author of the book, was a key figure in the civil rights movement and has lived much of his life in the southern part of the United States. He's an older gentleman who has been a part  ministry in Mississippi and California specifically as well as serving in various ministries in the United States and throughout the world. 

The first thing that I loved about this book is that you can feel Perkins' heart through this book. He is passionate about what he believes in, he is compassionate for those who are oppressed, and he is diligent about reaching out to those in need. 

In the book, Dream With Me, Perkins shares much about the life he has lived and the oppression he has been through in his own life. He writes about the ministry God gave to he and his family and how much God has done through them. I have read many books about reaching out to those in need but for me, it helped to read it from the mouth of the minority, if that makes sense. 

I think this book is an excellent read for anyone who is in ministry in an underprivileged area or those who would like to be. I also think this book is an excellent resource for opening our eyes to what people are going through who aren't in our same situation. 

Thank you, Mr. Perkins, for this book. I pray I can take to heart the things you shared and live more of them out. 



Thank you, Baker Books, for sending me this book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment