Thursday, March 9, 2017

Superforecasting by Phillip E. Tetlock {A Book Review}


I (Matt) have really enjoyed reading Superforecasting: The Art and Science of Prediction by Phillip E. Tetlock and Dan Gardner. It's a fun book for taking a dive into forecasting . 

I enjoyed reading about how forecasters related to weather, politics, stocks, etc. are often considered professionals even though they may actually be amateurs. I also liked learning about how even though these people are often very bad or unreliable at forecasting, it is in many ways a skill that can be learned.  While it definitely leans more towards pop-science than going academically deep into the presented topic, I feel like I learned some new information from this book.  

I do wish there was less fluff and I often found myself wishing for deeper analysis of the years of research the authors kept referencing. 

If you enjoy books like Moneyball or Freakonomics then I would recommend this book to you.

**I received this book from Blogging for Books for free.**

No comments:

Post a Comment